In the 19th century, Juan Cuevas, Spanish immigrant from Santander,
began what was to be a family business which now spans four generations.
Like others fortunate enough to live and work in the Pinar del Rio
province of Cuba, Juan commenced cultivating tobacco, turning it into a
Following in his father’s footsteps, his son, Juan Jr. continued with the family business, successfully expanding it until events which took place in 1959 forced a dramatic change. Years later, in the Cibao Valley of the Dominican Republic, Luis Cuevas Sr., Juan’s Jr.’s son, carried on the family tradition of handcrafting fine cigars in the family’s cigar factory, Tabacalera Las Lavas. Today, Luis Sr. is joined by his son, Luis Jr. in the manufacture and sale of premium, long filler cigars at their factory, Tabacalera Las Lavas, in Santiago, Dominican Republic.
So it is that, after decades of manufacturing premium cigars for notable brands, it was decided that the time had come to produce and market a high-end, premium cigar that would bear the Cuevas name.